Why A Goat?

Thursday, December 21, 2006

I just finished a low-budget horror for one of the TriggerStreet film-makers. I wrote a crime-thriller for this same film-maker earlier this year and I was in the middle of a re-write when he asked me to drop it and switch to this low-budget horror.

We've developed an interesting relationship and one that I think will be profitable to both of us. He wants to make movies and I want to write. So we work together.

Most of the film-makers I know who are working toward their career in film-making write their own scripts. But if you look up any ten movies on IMDB, most of them are written by one or two people and directed by somebody different. I just checked out what's currently playing, but you can pick your own ten movies.

When you look up the credits for each director, they all have writing credit on their movies, but they aren't listed as the primary writer. So a quick scan of any ten movies (or what's playing now) shows us that directors and their writers work together as a team.

That's what's been happening with me and this director. It was his concept, and I turned it into a story. He has a credit on the screenplay because most of what's happening in the story is based on something he wanted. But I was the one to guide the course of the story, provide advice on certain elements that wouldn't work, and come up with the dialogue. And I typed it all into Final Draft. Never underestimate the value of somebody who can type quickly and with few mistakes.

He wants to finance this himself, so many of his notes are, "I can't afford this. Make it cheaper." Now there's a creative challenge. I've been having fun with limited sets and props that are easy (and cheap!) to procure.

I'm very excited about this project, so I'll probably have a few updates on it in the future. Wish us luck!

3 Comments:

  • At 7:49 PM, Blogger Mystery Man said…

    Hehehe...

    I love the "I can't afford this" note. That's probably the most respectable, human, understandable God's-honest-truth feedback you'll ever get.

    I really hope things work out with this.

    -MM

     
  • At 9:37 AM, Blogger Carl S said…

    I have been faced with the "make it cheaper" process. Not always easy and definitely challenging.

    Great success to you, Mim!

     
  • At 10:12 AM, Blogger Mim said…

    Thanks to both of you. I've got a surprising update about this on the way.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home