Why A Goat?

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Thanking My Lucky Stars, Part One

My amazing good luck is that I have the support of my family in my quest to become a paid writer. In the last two years I have become part of a community of writers. We all support and encourage each other, and in many ways only the help of another writer is what gets us all through our occasional periods of self-doubt. But I am equally blessed to have a husband who rearranges his own life to accommodate my writing.

Some of my fellow writers live alone, or with their pets, which is not really alone, but let us say without human companionship at home. Some of them like it this way. Some of them have family obligations. They have children who need their attention or spouses who don't understand why they must do what they do. They love their families, but these cherished people are an obstacle to their writing.

I debated a long time about writing this post, because it sounds too much like bragging. But it's not. Every day I run into my own obstacles, which get me down and seem hard to overcome. Then I remind myself that I have a wonderful man who notices when I don't write and asks me what's wrong. He wants to know what he can do to help me get back to my latest project. Or else he simply tells me, "Write, you lazy bitch."

How can you not love a man who allows you to dress him up as Raggedy Ann for Halloween, which is his favorite night of the year, when he'd rather go as a blood-soaked zombie?

He is my number one fan and I don't know what I'd do without him.

5 Comments:

  • At 11:00 AM, Blogger Carl S said…

    Obviously, your hubby knows what a lucky guy he is. ;) Happy 2007!

     
  • At 11:06 AM, Blogger Mim said…

    Thanks, Carl. Here's to a wonderful year for all of us.

     
  • At 4:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    WRITE YOU LAZY BITCH.

    You're a lucky woman indeed.

    Unk

     
  • At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice post, Miriam. Cute picture.

    Even though my wife and I have gone through some rough patches, I honestly don't know what I'd do without her, either.

     
  • At 9:37 AM, Blogger Mim said…

    Yes, it hasn't always been easy between us, but we've had a lot of time to work things out.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home