Why A Goat?

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Change of Plans

The low-budget horror has been put on hold. My director is very happy with it, but there's a special effect that he can't afford and doesn't want to give up. So we've switched gears to a romcom.

I've never written a romcom, but I'm game. I've studied the genre and it will still have character arcs, conflict, a three-act structure, and subtext in the dialogue. That never changes.

He asked me for ideas and I couldn't think of anything. Then I got one of those falling-asleep ideas that seemed really great. But my director didn't like it. He wanted another idea.

So I've come up with another idea and it's slowly coming together. We've created some characters and a basic concept. And every time we talk about it, we find another element we can work in.

Every screenplay I've written has developed in a different way. Sometimes you get the ending and then have to figure out how everybody gets there. Sometimes it's just one scene and you just know it's part of a larger story. I'm working on another one that started off as a 10-minute short and has now developed into a larger story. Part of the inspiration for this one are two actors who are available, so we came up with characters for them.

I can hardly wait to start talking about this story, but I will probably wait until we get at least a rough draft. Hopefully it won't be so long before I post again.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:04 PM, Blogger Carl S said…

    There's nothing better than getting that idea that sparks your creativity.

    It seems like you and your director are a good team for developing ideas. It must be great to have someone to bounce ideas of off who is so open to the process.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home