Why A Goat?

Saturday, February 03, 2007

THE SAGA CONTINUES

If you're going to write a story, you have to be able to come up with one. We had some good characters, and knew what we wanted to happen to them, but we couldn't get into their heads enough to figure out how to get them from point A (FADE IN) to point B (FADE OUT) without losing our audience to boredom.

So we did the smart thing and bailed.

I don't want this project to be MY story. I want to be able to write HIS story. The low-budget horror was HIS story and HIS characters. I just massaged everything into a reasonable structure and came up with some cool twists. In other words, I did my job.

And we both love this story, but there's that darn expensive special effect that he doesn't want to give up. And kudos to him for not wanting to compromise this element. It's going to look totally awesome on screen if it ever gets there.

So he suggested writing a romcom. I've never written one, but I do have a huge sense of the absurd. I've never felt qualified to write comedy, but I've seen many romcoms and what I like about them is that the comedy is not as broad or as ubiquitous as in what you would call a comedy. In romcoms you often chuckle or smile at a scene, but you don't expect the big belly laughs and hysteria that you do with a comedy.

But then we ran into the problem of what to write. I came up with an idea that I really like (and I'm writing it on my own), but it didn't appeal to my director. Then we came up with this other idea that turned out to be a bust because we couldn't find that elusive path from point A to point B.

Finally, earlier this week, he came up with a kind of logline/outline for a NEW story, and we BOTH like this one. So I'm taking a moment to let you know that we're back on track and full of hope and confidence (like new parents), and then I'm going to spend the rest of the day coming up with character bios and the first act.

Woo Hoo!

3 Comments:

  • At 6:16 PM, Blogger Carl S said…

    Good news. Sounds like you are getting a mental workout, which in the end will garner rewards, I'm sure.

    Oh, and what is it abot tarot cards that they appear in three of my scripts? I love the imagery.

     
  • At 5:37 AM, Blogger Mim said…

    They are full of universal symbolism. I was reading the stories behind the Major Arcana and each one is related to a different zodiac symbol.

    They were used in Carnivale to great effect.

     
  • At 7:35 AM, Blogger Carl S said…

    Loved Carnivale.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home